Who can get a business rates reduction
Some businesses are eligible for a reduction in the amount of business rates they pay. This is called ‘business rates relief’.
You might be able to apply for business rates relief if your business is:
- a small business
- a retail, leisure or hospitality business – for example, a restaurant or hotel
- a charity or other non-profit organisation
- a local newspaper
You may also be able to apply for a business rates reduction if:
- your rates go up or down by more than a certain amount
- your property is empty, partly empty or being refurbished
- you’re in financial difficulty
- your property is in an enterprise zone
- your property is in a ‘heat network’ - supplying heating or cooling to other properties from a central source
You must tell us if your circumstances change.
Page last updated: 22 January 2024